Stan Speaking: I have to-day, 2015 07 29, installed Windows 10. As with any new system, I am experiencing some difficulty. I will give you some feedback in one week. Stan 2015 07 29
On Wednesday, July 29, 2015, Microsoft will begin releasing Windows 10. Here are some facts you should know:
- Microsoft will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified new or existing, Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year following the availability of Windows 10.
- The upgrade will be fulfilled digitally via Windows Update. The download size is approximately 3GB.
- It is Microsoft’s intent that most Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 devices will qualify, but some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device.
- Users will need to meet the device qualification and compatibility criteria, and also have the latest Windows Updates installed including Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update.
- The upgrade rollout will take place over a period of time that begins on July 29, so not all computers will be upgraded immediately.
- The Windows 10 upgrade comes with support from Microsoft.
It’s quite likely that your computer is already showing an upgrade icon in the lower-right notification area on your desktop like so:
Click there to learn more about the upgrade and get your computer ready.
Here are some of the terrific new features that Windows 10 will bring:
Cortana –This is a voice-activated personal assistant. You can already find it on a Windows phone but now it is available on Windows 10 computers. You can interact with it easily by talking or typing. You can use it to find things on your computer or on the Internet. Cortana learns about you and gets smarter the more you use it. It learns your preferences in order to provide relevant recommendations, fast access to information and important reminders.
Edge – Edge is the next-generation browser that delivers a better web experience that’s made for easy sharing, reading, researching and getting things done online. Advanced features include the ability to annotate by keyboard or pen directly on the web page and easily share with friends. There’s a reading view that can display articles free of distractions. It also integrates closely with Cortana for finding and doing things online.
Xbox – Xbox on Windows 10 lets gamers access the best of the expansive Xbox Live gaming network on both Windows 10 PCs and Xbox One. Players can capture, edit and share their greatest gaming moments with GameDVR and play new games with friends across devices. Players will also be able to play games on their PC, streamed directly from their Xbox One consoles to their Windows 10 tablets or PCs within their home.
Office – Office universal apps on Windows 10 offer a consistent, touch-first experience across phone, tablet and PC with new versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote and Outlook. They are designed from the ground up to run on Windows. You can easily create and edit Word documents, annotate PowerPoint slides in real time with new inking features and easily give presentations, and, with new touch-first controls in Excel, you can create or update spreadsheets without a keyboard or mouse.
Universal apps – Built-in Windows apps provide an updated experience for both large and small devices. Look for enhanced Music, Photos, Mail, and Calendar apps.
Windows 10 has been designed and developed differently from the way previous versions of Windows have been done. It makes it possible for Windows to empower people more than ever.