Congratulations to everyone who had a role in this TERRIFIC TURN AROUND, THIS TERRIFIC COMEBACK!!
Early in 1923 Mr. P. T. Ives of Meriden, Conn. who had played shuffleboad on shiboard, came to St. Petersburg as a tourist to spend the winter, at once saw the possibilities of the game and urged the Park Board to build a couple of courts in Mirror Lake Park. So enthuisatic was he in regard to the value of the game to the city that after some investigation, and much urging on the part of Mr Ives, it was decided to build the two courts, which was done in the fall of 1923, just in front of where the new two story club house now stands. Mr. Ives is well remembered by the older members of the club as a most courteous gentleman, and an enthusiastic booster for the shuffleboard club until the time of his death. He personally induced many to join the club, and he was made a Life Member of the club in recognition of his services. On Januaary 24, 1924 the club was organized, thus becoming the very first organized Shuffleboard Club in FL. The Cub was called the Mirror Lake Park Shuffleboard Club. Membership card No. 1 was issued to M. J. Kane of Rhode Island, who became the first President. The other officers were Mrs. Roger Gibson, Vice President; E.E. Peterson, Secretar-Treasurer; A. J. Dickerson, Jr.., Financial Secretary; (Mr. Dickerson soon after resigned and E. F. Wolfrum was appointed to fill the office); Jacob Martin, Treasurer.
Posted by Stan; 2017 05 11.