TRIBUTE TO JIM MILLER MASTERS CHAMPION FSA HALL OF FAME SHUFFLER

FLORIDA SHUFFLEBOARD ASSOCIATION (FSA)

TRIBUTE TO JIM MILLER MASTERS CHAMPION
FSA HALL OF FAME SHUFFLER

FSA President Dave Kudro Speaks:  I am sitting here trying to come to terms with loosing a close friend, shuffleboard partner and probably the best person I’ve ever met and admired that emulates the best of the best on and off the courts.

I loved how he had such a passion with learning and applying on all his research on making sure the courts and disks were prepared to give every shuffler an enjoyable and equal chance to play to the best of their ability. Usually you would see Jim when not shuffling, talking to shufflers all over the state to not only share what he has learned through his experimentation, but also looking to learn as well from others that prepare courts and disks. This passion was almost as much as his love for playing shuffleboard.
Jim as a player, one would only have to look at current and past plaques and trophies in the FSA Hall of Fame. Jim has won them all. From the FSA State Masters Championship, State Singles and State Doubles, Tournament of Champions as well as a National Singles and Doubles Champion. What I can say though is that I have never seen such a gracious humble winner and always whether its a win or loss, Jim was always a true gentleman’s gentleman.

I know this will really hit home to me next season. When at a tournament (after the draw when he is not my partner) I’d always look for Jim and ask him what line number he would draw. I would always take a deep breath and pray to the Shuffleboard Gods, that I was not in his bracket. My wish was never having to meet him until the finals, if I was lucky enough to get there. With Jim, he never worried about luck, superstitions or head games, he beat you by pure skill. They talk about pro basketball players and their ability to be a great free throw shooter at 85%. I know for a fact and have seen it hundreds of times. You stick trying to clear a possible hide on Jim, and 99 out of 100 times, he would nail it precisely directly behind the disk were it was usually impossible to hit. Yes he was one of the best of the best.

As a Husband, Father and Grandfather, Jim’s eyes would always shine as well as a big loving smile on his face when talking about his wife Josephine (Jo), his sons and his grandchildren.

Our hearts are heavy as we try and come to grips with the loss of someone so special as Jim. Jim will be missed by us all each and every day for he was some so special who meant more to all shufflers than words can say.

Goodbyes hurt the most, when the story was not finished…..

Prayers to Jo and the family for comfort, strength and peace during this trying time.

Dave Kudro, FSA President.  2018 05 07.

This entry was posted in FSA (All Districts), SPECIAL EVENTS. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to TRIBUTE TO JIM MILLER MASTERS CHAMPION FSA HALL OF FAME SHUFFLER

1. Joyce Smith says:

Dave, such a fine tribute to this great man. Thank you for saying so eloquently what we all feel.

• Judy Taylor says:

Thank you Dave for these wonderful words about our beloved friend. A man of such high standards, setting an example of just how a true gentleman conducts himself on and off the shuffleboard courts. I’m honored to have had the privilege to have him as a partner in the mixed doubles.

2. Glenna says:

A beautiful tribute to a beautiful man. Thank you Dave, for expressing what all of us are feeling, as Joyce said. We will truly miss him.

3. Henry Strong says:

My heart is heavy over the sudden death of Jim, he and his wife Jo are two of the most honourable people I have had the most absolute pleasure of meeting.
    They say God takes the good ones first he sure got this one right.
    I surely will miss you on the courts.
    May God give you the special place you deserve.
    Henry Strong

4. John Mickle says:

Thank you David for e-mailing your very kind words on all our behalf. In my eyes, Jim is a true champion! Not only a fantastic sportsman who got a lot from the game, but who gave even more back. If a player of Jim’s ability can do the chores at the courts (waxing, cleaning, maintaining, etc., etc.) then so can the rest of us. He lead by example and will be sadly missed.

Jim done and was everything that I longed do and be, He was so polite, gracious. Never critical. His game was simply superior. He was always the quiet gentleman. After a lose
    he would comment with a smile I just could not figure out that court. I never played a match with Jim I always wanted too. I knew he played with many of his friends and he was in demand. He will be missed just as much in the years to come. Glen Peltier.

6. Jerry Stannard Pres. SWCD says:

Our loss is great and unreplaceable. I have received calls from all over both countries from stunned people who can’t believe our loss of one of the finest ever, and they all had comments as to his kindness and excellence but mostly on his contributions to the Southwest District and who will take up the slack as he and Jo contributed thousands of hours of work to the district. Jim will be missed for as long as we who knew him live.

7. Virginia Chandler says:

This tribute is an outstanding report of how everyone we have met on and off the courts have always felt about Jim and his lovely faithful wife and supporter, Jo. Thank you Dave for expressing this tribute so well.
    Jim & Ginny Chandler

8. Mo and Jill says:

Thank you Dave for putting into words what we are all feeling. So hard to express our loss over this tragic news.
    Mo and Jill

9. Ray Buck says:

Very well done, Dave. What a gentleman he was. I had the highest respect for Jim as a person and a top player. He surely will be missed. Our prayers are with Jo and his family

10. Terry McNamara says:

Your tribute to Jim could not be more eloquently said your words describe how we all feel .Our thoughts and prayers go out to Jo and all the Miller Family

11. Roy Babcock says:

Dave Your words xpress what we all want to say. Jim was a gentleman and also a great shuffler and someone that Imwas proud to call a friend.He will be greatly missed by all. My prayers and thoughts go out to Jo and her family of whom Jim was so proud. Roy Babcock

12. susan b. daidone says:

DAvae your words about Jim Miller were just right on the money. It is going to take many to fill Jim’s shoes at the BSC..Jim may you rest in peace in Heaven with the good Lord at your side. Chuck and Sue Daidone