LOIS, my Love of 62 Years, Left us; Left Me, on June 4th, 2018

My Love; Lois.  The Celebration of Life for Lois McCormack (McConnell) will take place at Celebrations Hall, (Mackey Funeral Home) 35 Lindsay Street North, Lindsay ON. Celebration will begin at 11 a.m. and continue until 1 p.m. on June 22nd, 2018. Family, and any who wish, will then travel to the Groveside Cemetery, 5155 Baldwin St. South, Whitby, ON where Lois’ Ashes will be placed adjacent her son Jeffrey. Light lunch will be provided.

My Love of 62 Years left us on June 4th, 2018. Lois McCormack had severe and aggressive lung cancer. It took her life while she was in the hospital in Lindsay Ontario; she had declined further complicated treatment, choosing to let “nature take its course”. Nature did so after only two days in hospital, Stan holding her right hand, daughter Michelle, holding her left hand.
Lois, I believe, had a most fulfilling Life. The early part of her life was devoted to taking care of our 5 children. She loved children; she loved meeting their every need, not just her immediate children, but later, her 7 Grandchildren as well. She enjoyed dressing the young girls in clothes she made herself. She enjoyed caring for them if “Mom” was working.  PLEASE REMEMBER; CLICK ON ANY PIC TO EXPAND.

Lois made daughter Michelle’s Wedding Dress, above, as well as the two special wedding guests above, Granddaughters Jennifer and Leigha. BUT ONE EXAMPLE OF HER MANY TALENTS!!
Every family member, including the photographer, received a hand knit sweater by the same talented lady who created the dolls below!! We believe the year is 1994. Everyone looks pretty well satisfied, I would say! Take note of the moustaches on the two older boys!! Sons Ken and Gregg.

These beautifully crafted, hand sewn dolls were created by Lois (McCormack), just one of many of her sewing skills. She began making them while we were living in our 5th Wheel Trailer, during an unusual and extreme snow fall while we were parked in Wayne’s driveway. She finished them when we moved into our newly purchased home on 13 Pottinger in Lindsay, ON. Lois “poo poos” the dolls and while I am no expert in this area, I do know they are professionally done and fine pieces of art.

“Great Russian Food”! Pre Sochi-Russia Trip of 2011.
Dear Lois and Stan: We have not stopped talking about what a wonderful time we had with you last night. The entire evening was so special. So wonderful to get to know new friends and visit with familiar ones!! And the GREAT RUSSIAN FOOD!!! I just shared the menu and pictures with my co-worker, Ellen, and smiled widely about every course and how fabulous each one was.
Lois, I am in awe of your culinary skills.
I don’t remember an evening we have enjoyed more. Thank-you for giving us such a special night.
Sincerely, Beth and Jim. (Allen) Click:  to read Menu of our Dinner, by Lois: Our Russian Dinner Menu

• Remarks below, in bold, made at the opening of the 2006 Reiny District Masters at Avon Park

• HOWEVER; we must now acknowledge the individual who MADE YOUR SOUP; LAID OUT YOUR TABLES; DECIDED OUR MENU; DESIGNED AND PRINTED 48 PIX AND NAME TAGS FOR YOUR SEATS, MIXED YOUR PANCAKES, MADE THE NAME TAGS THE OFFICIALS AND HELPERS WILL WEAR!! EVENT ORGANIZER; THE GAL WHO PUT IT ALL TOGETHER, my (first wife > Lois)

See the happy group!!! Browns, McCormacks, and the Pollocks. See the pix on the Men’s Shirts? You guessed it, She Did It!!! The Men Cooked. It was this same group that put together the “Hall of Fame Classic” in the Central District of the FSA.

WONDER WOMAN: Yesterday, 2018 02 24, while sitting in our rented unit in Sebring, FL, Lois observed that one of my shoes had been permanently stained by javex. NOT SURPRISINGLY, she had a plan. We went to Walmart, located some dark gray dye, and returned to our unit. She filled two large roasting pans with water; poured the dye into the water, along with the shoes, one in each pot, and then boiled the water and the shoes!! We placed them in the sun to dry; I am now wearing a great pair of rejuvenated shoes. JUST LIKE NEW, ONLY BETTER COLOUR!! 2018 02 25.

SHE NEVER, EVER, ASKS; BUT SHE DOES WATCH CAREFULLY: One evening in Feb of 2018, while talking about “doing hair”, Lois advanced her belief that Ruthie Brown had formal training as a hair dresser. That prompted me to ask How She Learned to “set hair”???  Amazing; get this!! She said that when she was 6 years old she would go to a neighbour’s home that did hair. She would sit and watch, not just for a day, but for days and weeks on end. That Ladies and Gentlemen, children, is how your Mom became a hair dresser. Pic is of Lois and daughter Michelle, taken on our 25th Wedding Anniversary, 1981.

LOIS WAS ONE OF ONLY TWO WOMEN SELECTED TO REPRESENT NORTH AMERICA AT TAFISA (The Association of International Sport for All) IN LITHUANIA.

What a pleasant surprise as we waited to board our aircraft to fly from Ottawa to Frankfurt. At about the time I “hit the wrong button”, our name was called, and Stan proceeded to the attendant at the Gate. We were advised that we had been moved to Executive Class >> Can anything else go wrong??? Lol We had not realized just how much Executive Class has changed since we last flew it!! Personal seating; makes into a bed or any combination of comfort; personal TV and of course your choice of music!! However; probably the very best was the outstanding service as they served dinner! We began with your choice of wine followed by an appetizer of Pan-seared Scallops and marinated Tiger Prawns served with a Fennel and Dill Salad on Cucumber Carpaccio!! This was served with a salad! For a main course; Pan-Seared Atlantic Salmon offered with Dill Veloute and this was followed by a Cheese Tray and finally, Sticky Toffee Apple Cranberry Cake with Whipped Cream!! We chose a wine from Sant’Antonio Italy. We commented that if this keeps up, it just may be another Sochi Russia Trip >> Well at least we can hope. We feel at this time, we must tell you that our Son has taken care of our Flight and we are going to enjoy this kind of service for the remainder of the trip. Thank you, Ken!!

However; the more SURPRISING, and more memorable aspect is this: After several pix had been taken of others who wished to take the opportunity, our group began to slowly move away. For whatever reason, Dr. Kang-Too Lee, TAFISA President, placed his arm on Lois, began talking with her, and, posed for a pic with her!!
Looking at this pic now, post Lois’ Passing, I believe it was Lois’ warm welcoming face that attracted Dr. Kang-Too-Lee. Stan

Those who followed this story, as it happened, will know that this grand style did not continue in Lithuania!!!!!!!

I could go on forever, talking of our many Travels!! Most of you followed along, on my blog; accordingly, I am going to insert a pic which includes many of the major Trips we have taken. Lois often commented, while looking at these pix, on our wall: “We Have Been Fortunate”, Haven’t We?

INDUCTOR IAN REIHER, AUSTRALIA PRESIDENT, SPEAKS: (Stan: Luv this pic!! Her wink says it all!! Taken while she was on stage for the induction.)
Ian Speaks: Ladies and Gentlemen; it is my privilege to nominate Lois McCormack for entry into the ISA Hall of Fame, Special Award Category. The remarks to follow are examples of the significant contribution already made by Lois in support of Shuffleboard at the International Level.
Lois began supporting the ISA during her first Tournament, the 22nd ISA in Clearwater in 2002. Tournament Director and ISA President Buchannan engaged her in playing with others as required, in order to complete teams as needed.
Lois has attended all but one ISA event since 2002, as well as being an active participant in 4 Inaugurals. She was selected to represent Shuffleboard in Lithuania, one of only two women chosen for the TAFISA event. As an example of her ability to mix easily with others at International Events, Dr. Kang-too Lee, TAFISA President, singled her out, to chat with her and requested a picture of the two of them.
She captained the Canadian Women’s Team in Australia in 2008; and at the invitation of President Michael captained the UN Teams at both Dieppe, NB, 2011 and Seattle, WA 2012. Her style of support and encouragement during the Seattle event was recognized by both of the UN Women’s Teams, and in recognition, Lois was awarded the coveted Merit/Sportsmanship Award.
Lois is currently the Secretary of the ISA, beginning her 3rd year in this capacity. She served two years as Secretary of the CNSA and during this period redesigned the Canadian display at the ISA Hall of Fame in Clearwater. She was a member of the Planning Committee for the 26th (Midland) ISA in 2007 and is once again on the Planning Committee for the 33rd ISA (Midland) 2014.
Shufflers: The above is a distinguished record of service to the ISA, the record of someone who has gone out of her way to promote shuffleboard on the INTERNATIONAL SCENE.

Ian Reiher.

As much as Lois loved Shuffleboard and the wonderful friends one makes by reason of shuffling, as with most Women, Family Came First. On the occasion of our 50th Wedding Anniversary, 2006, the entire nuclear family, (no exceptions) went on a Cruise. Here is an article that briefly describes our Cruise.  x 01 Family Cruise To Celebrate 50 Years of Family

I do hope you have enjoyed this series of articles.  I have, putting it all together.  If you knew Lois; if you are within driving distance of Lindsay ON, why not come to the Celebration of Life on June 22nd at 11:00, 35 Lindsay Street North, Lindsay.  A light Lunch will be provided.

Stan McCormack.  2018 06 08.

This entry was posted in SPECIAL EVENTS. Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to LOIS, my Love of 62 Years, Left us; Left Me, on June 4th, 2018

1. Rosemarie ElRite says:

Stan
    Please accept my profound sympathy on the loss of your beloved wife, Lois. All who knew her. loved her. She will be truly missed.

2. Glenna says:

A beautiful tribute to dear Lois, Stan. She has been an inspirational and exceptional model of how people can promote and contribute to shuffleboard in so many capacities…while at the same time cherishing family and friends. She will be greatly missed. We will always remember our special time with both of you in Australia as roommates. It was so much fun.
    Sorry we will not be attending her celebration of life but please know we will honour her memory, and be there in spirit. Hugs, Glenna & David

3. Glenn Monroe says:

Stan, I am so sorry for your loss, for the loss of everyone who knew Lois. May God grant her peace and grant your family comfort in the memories of this wonderful person.

Glenn and Donna Monroe

4. jim helms says:

stan sorry for your loss . played with Lois a few times at Lakeland & sebring was very sweet an enjoyable time. my prayers will be with you. jim helms

5. Gary pipher says:

Lois was a great Lady and we were so fortunate to have known her and to have shared several fabulous meals at her table.
    Stan and Lois were members of the Coldwater Shuffleboard Club for many years and Lois will be missed by all.
    RIP Lois .

6. Myrna and Alf says:

Dear Stan , I learned of Lois passing today and shocked and saddened doesn’t begin to express how I’m feeling. I pray God will give you and your family the strength and courage you will need at this very sad time. I know God will keep her close as she was so very special. I’m saddened that we didn’t get to spend more time together , the time we did will always be very special to me.
    My thoughts and prayers will be with you. Sincerely Myrna

7. Maureen. says:

Stan, we are so sorry to hear of your loss. Lois was a shuffle queen for sure, confident and competitive. Your write ups are so enjoyable about Lois and your family, thanks for sharing.
    Your family’s strength will help you greatly at this very sad time. Prayers to you and your family.
    Bill and Maureen Bryan.

8. Kenny says:

Love the piece you put together here Grampa. Just some of the many stories you could share with us. Lots of love to you and Gramma forever xo

9. stanistheman says:

THANKS KENNY!!! Going over for Breakfast in the morning. Gramps.

10. Murray and Muriel Burnett says:

Stan,
    You have our deepest heartfelt sympathy and condolence, as does your whole family. We will hold all of you in our hearts and prayers during this sad time of loss & mourning for a kind, loving woman who will be genuinely missed by all who knew her.
    Muriel and Murray

11. Dorothy and Art says:

Very well done Stan. Lois will be missed.We’ll see you on the 22nd.

12. Virginia Chandler says:

There will never be another women come close to being as great a woman, in every way she lived, as Lois! You have written one of the greatest accounts that certainly attests to this fact ! May God bless you and each member of your family, and give you the spiritual guidance you all may need in the days to come ! Having known Lois and you I know your entire family is marvelous too ! Our love and comfort are our blessings and deepest condolences too to all of you ! Jim & Ginny

13. Susan Dungey says:

I dien’t meet Lois until the last few years. I always looked up to her. I thought she was one of the coolest lady . There will be a hole in our hearts and we will miss seeing her smile on the courts.

14. Mary Beth & John Heron says:

Condolences Stan to you & all your family. It was nice to see you & Lois last summer. A great lady she will be missed.

• stanistheman says:

John and Mary Beth. Do you ever go to Blackstock?? IF NOT, perhaps we will have another Get Together as we did last summer?? Stan

• Mary Beth & John Heron says:

Yes we shuffle at Blackstock mostly in mornings only.Be great to see you sometime.John

15. Sandi Quinn says:

Stan, We are so very sorry for the loss of your Dear Lois. What a wonderful tribute you have shared with us . . things I never knew about her, but not at all surprised at her many talents and her great love for family. Heaven has gained an Angel, but your loss and grief will be tremendous. Please know you and your family are, and will be, in our thoughts and prayers for God’s comfort, care, peace and love. God and so many years of loving memories will sustain you through this difficult time and always. We Love You!!!

16. Marilyn says:

Stan, I did not personally know Lois but besides watching her expertise in shuffling must say I so admired her beauty and sense of style. You and your postings have given her so much honor, may God bless you and your family and may your memories continue to lessen your grief.

17. ken offenther says:

Stan- I cannot tell you how saddened I am at hearing of Lois passing.How blessed you were to have so many wonderful years with that lovely lady-a friendly, kind and giving lady. I marveled at the happiness of your marriage.My heart is with you and all your family today.bless her!!

18. Deb Stuart says:

I did not have the opportunity to meet Lois — but I know of love when I read it. May that love carry you through this difficult time. I am so sorry for your loss of such a lovely woman.

19. Earl Ball says:

Stan, I don’t know what I could say that I haven’t said. Vivian and I are so sorry, but now our concern turns to You. We do hope that you are OK and that life carries on. We wish you our very best.
    Earl & Vivian

20. Janice Campbell says:

Will never ever forget the great times shared with you both. It was a friendship I treasured more than you know. May you all share in her beauty and joy of life.

21. stanistheman says:

Janice: The Four of Us had some GREAT TIMES TOGETHER!!! I shall always remember. Stan

22. George and Joanne Clark says:

Stan so very sorry to hear this sad news. Sending our sincere sympathy.
    Sending prayers to you and your family. Thank you for sharing the special memories, Lois was truly an amazing person. May these memories give you strength for brighter days ahead.

23. Ron and Lucia Moran says:

We are saddened by this news, our hearts and prayers are with you and your family at this time.

24. Norm and Bernice Lindsay says:

Stan, We met Lois in Midland and there was a few chuckles shared between us. So sorry to hear of this sad news. Please accept our sincerest sympathy.
    Norm and Bernice Lindsay

25. hwshuffle says:

STAN,
    We will always remember being able to spend time with you and Lois in Midland.
    Marolyn and I send our sympathy.

26. Leigha Shultis says:

How heartwarming it is to read so many kind words about Gramma! I love reading the comments where people remark about your love, partnership and bond. I feel the same way. You two are great role models in so many ways Grampa! Cant wait to see you soon!
    Xo

27. Durelle says:

A Beautiful picture of Lois and tribute Stan. After 62 years it will be a hard journey ahead for you and I wish you the very best.