OPEN DISTRICT BOARD MEETING RESULTS
The January SWCD Open Board meeting was well attended and was amicably led by our new President Steve Slaughterbeck, who was suddenly moved up by the health concerns of our now Past-President Jerry Stannard, who ably led us in recent years. Many of the issues involved future tournament affairs.
1. Bradenton Tropical Palms declines to host future tournaments, a tragedy to those who appreciate their excellent meals available for so many years; the former Bradenton Trailer Park history as the oldest trailer park in Manatee County, started by Kiwanis in the 1930’s, and now newly constructed roof covers over the players in very recent times. It is anticipated that Palmetto will receive D-18 and A-15 in March 2020; Golf Lakes may get D-6 and A-3 in November 2019; and Bradenton Shuffle Club will host D-13 and A-10 in January 2020. This column salutes Bradenton Tropical Palms for great memories over the past 8 decades. All this change will be in the 2019-2020 Tournament Schedule.
2. The Rain Date of March 14 will see the finish of SWCD D-10 in the morning at Bradenton Shuffle Club. At 1:30 p.m. that day Bradenton will host the annual SWCD Hall of Fame induction ceremonies.
3. On Rain Date March 15, the rained-out never started D-11 and A-8 will be played at Bradenton Shuffle Club. Also note that all eligible players are eligible on March 15, even if you never came to register on that bad weather day. This is an exception to the usual rule that a rain date is only open to those who were registered on the original day.
4. It was affirmed that D-17 at Bradenton, the popular No 2 Pros will have no move-up points, but will have Master Points.
5. The wildly popular D-19 at Palmetto will have no move-up or Masters Points as before. (The theory held by many voters is that none should move up by being carried by some top players). This columnist notes that despite this feature, we all love this tournament, which has been the spark plug for many new players
Jan. 7, FL-15B at Lee County, M/L Doubles, 75 points. Ladies Main: 2. Flo Kowalewski and Partner, 3. Terri Smith-Pam Nurnberger. Consolation: 2. Donna Schultz-Dian Darrah 3. Marilyn Everett-Marlene Coburn. Men Main: 2. John Mickle-Tom Putnam, 3. John L. Brown and partner. Consolation: 1. Dwayne Cross-Larry Mardis.
Jan. 10 at Golf Lakes, SWCD D-12, Open Doubles, M/L, 16/75 points. Ladies Main: 1. Terri Smith-Pam Nurnberger, 2. Elaine Antaya-Joan McCurdy, 3. Arlene McCague-Carol Maxwell, 4. Cindy Slaughterbeck-Cheryl Putnam. Consolation: 1. Marlene Coburn-Marilyn Everett, 2. Janice O’Sullivan-Helen Lunsford, 3. Shirley McCullough-Adriana Cramton, 4. Letha DeVries-Doris Mularz. Men Main : 1. Larry Mardis-Faren VanDeGrift, 2. Gilbert Broadhead-Larry Taylor, 3. Tom Putnam-Ed Leonard, 4. John Hechinger-John L. Brown. Consolation: 1. Bob Kendall-Jim Rathburn, 2. Bill Batdorff-Vern Wallingford, 3. Bill Comford-Cau Huynh, 4. Dan Lake-Patrick Antaya.
Jan. 11 at Golf Lakes, SWCD A-9, Any Amateurs/Any Doubles, Mingle/Mingle, 16/75 points. 1. Don Cadotte-Charles Stannard, 2. Neal Baum-Larry Fowler 3. Rick Hall-Peter Aylen, 4. Ron Timmermman-Sandra Kolasinski. Consolation: 1. Janet Eisses-Don Trottier, 2. Rita Marderosian-Ed Nawrocki, 3. Kathy Kendall-Dale Overzet, 4. Karl Clark-Mary Fowler.
SWCD D-13 , Jan, 17 at Bradenton Tropical Palms, M/L Draw Doubles, 16/75 points, Lunch available. No partner required.
SWCD A-10, Jan. 18 at Bradenton Tropical Palms, Mingle/Mingles, 16/75 pts. Lunch. No partner needed.
Jan. 21, FL P-17 at Trailer Estates, National Doubles, M/L, 75 points. No lunch.
Jan. 21, FL A-15A at Riverwoods, P-15B at Zephyrhills, Any Ams/Any Doubles, 75 points.
. Congratulations to Dr. Larry Mardis, winter resident of Braden Castle, who now plays out of Bradenton Shuffle Club, and who earned his 200th Florida Masters Point last week at Lee County Shuffleboard Club at North Ft. Myers, making him eligible for induction into the FL Shuffleboard Hall of Fame next year.
. The Southwest Coast District needs new volunteers to become Shuffleboard Tournament Directors. After being trained Directors earn modest income and perform a valuable service to the greatest sport in the world. Tournament Directors do not have to be shuffleboard players. Anyone interested may contact any SWCD officer or respond by calling 756-8548.
. Plans are being made to offer a shuffleboard school in the very near future, probably on a Saturday at Bradenton Shuffle Club. If any club has several who want to improve their skills, strategy and knowledge we can bring a school to your park, as well. You are welcome to call 756-8548 for further information.
. The Bradenton Social Shuffle Club begins Winter Shuffle for this season at Bradenton Shuffle Club Saturday, Jan. 19 at 6-9 p.m. All are welcome. It is fun, not a contest. They have the equipment and are willing to help interested parties. Optional donation $5.