Glen Shares His Experience of the 6th ISA, Attending as the CNSA President.

The 6th ISA Was Held in San Benito TX; The 40th ISA Will be Held in San Benito TX!!!

I see that the 40th ISA World Championship event will be held in San Benito TX beginning Oct. 16th, 2021. The 6th ISA was also held in San Benito TX. I was the president of the Canadian National Shuffleboard Ass. at the time and my wife and I played in the 6th ISA. I do believe it was by far the very best International ever!!

The Mayor of San Benito took two busloads of players to Mexico for a day that will last in my memory forever. Drinks, Food Live Music like I had never known before. Mexican lady dancers by the dozen. Next came a day at South Padre Island hosted by the first lady of South Padre Island. Exotic fruit of all kinds, abundant amounts of food and drinks. The motel we stayed at put on a pool party consisting of stripes of steaks with all the trimmings. I still feel today that it was the best week of my life. I was the second president of the CNSA. Jack House on your left was first and no one wanted the job so I said I would take it. I am sure glad I took it.

The enclosed building was great. The courts run perfectly. The people responsible for running the event did a grand job. I believe Ann and Evan Engell are the hosts in 2021. Knowing Ann and Evan the way I do they are the most capable people to handle the job. Anyone getting a chance to play then, please do. You will be so happy you did. I sure hope I am selected to represent Canada at this prestigious event! San Benito is a long way to go but it is well worth going to.

Glen Peltier. 2020 04 19

7 Responses to Glen Shares His Experience of the 6th ISA, Attending as the CNSA President.

1. Evan Engell says:

I had no idea Fun N Sun hosted this event before. Stan the Man sent me some material a few days ago. I haven’t had a chance to read it yet (I do tax returns for a living so I’m always self-isolated this time of year). I mentioned to Ann that my initial skim of Stan’s email looked like it’s been in Texas before. How awesome! Ann and I are hoping that in 34 years from now, people are commenting how it was the best one ever. I look forward to seeing you there, Glen. 🙂

2. Earl A Ball says:

I was considering applying for the Texas Tournament but it will take place at the same time a Betmar State Tournament is played. After reading Glen’s comments I may reconsider; Evan and Ann, will we have as good a time as Glen had?

3. Evan Engell says:

Well, Earl, I do like having a good time. I’ve worked hard over the years to develop that “good time and party” reputation. When you play like me, it’s important to develop a good sense of humor. lol. Ann and I are really trying to make this a thoroughly enjoyable and memorable event where a shuffleboard game or two may get played.

4. Evan Engell says:

Here’s another interesting piece of information. Our first year going to Texas was nine years ago. We rented a cottage. I had not shuffled since Dad got sick (probably 2004 or 2005). I took my stick and figured I’d look up a place to play when I got down there. As soon as we got settled in, I went on the internet. It said the closest place to play was 300 yards to the north of us. Fun N Sun RV Park was literally on the other side of the fence from the cottage we rented.

I walked over one day, met three guys who needed a fourth, and they let me play. The park had 20 indoor courts and they were awesome. As they said, it’s always 72 degrees and dry. I was obviously rusty but the guys could tell I had played before and understood some of the strategy. They invited me back as a “guest” any time I wanted to play. It soon became daily … fitting it in between work at my day job.

Anyway, they talked about this one player who dominated Fun N Sun for years and was a major force within the Texas State Shuffleboard Association. I eventually went over to the shrine they had for this guy. It turned out to be Ray Hallum. I knew of Ray from Dad’s playing days in southern Ontario. Ray was from Chatham, Ontario, about two hours from where I live. Ray had already stopped coming south by the time I got there though.

The following season we bought our little “starter” park model at Fun N Sun. It took two or three more seasons before I was brave enough to play in a TSSA tournament. I was hooked after the very first tournament. I guess, as they say, the rest is history. 🙂

5. Pingback: Interesting Information to our Readers!! | Your Source for Shuffleboard News

Evan, try to talk Earl into coming to your tournament He will add so much to your event. Plus spectators will come when they hear he is there. He is our biggest draw anywhere in the world. Glen.

7. Evan Engell says:

It would be absolutely awesome to have Earl there. Our’s are indoor climate controlled “Florida” style/speed courts with the beads painted in. They are consistent and just a lot of fun. I would love to watch Earl on these courts. I had the pleasure of watching Earl play at the Lakeside Nationals last July. Unfortunately, it was as his opponent. Red Rudolph and I drew Earl and Bill Hoyer in the first round. They went on to win first in Main while Red and I went on to win first in Consolation. Watching the three of them at my court was just awe inspiring and a real highlight in my shuffleboard career.

What would be icing on the cake for me, and I’m serious, is to have the then Cdn President and attendee from the 6th ISA show up again to play. Earl and Glen both in my park in Texas at the same time. It gives me goosebumps. Folks will be thrilled.

For those of you who know our courts, watching matches is a major hurdle. The builders of the courts did not take that into consideration at all. We know we are going to have hundreds of people in attendance just to watch. Ann and I are planning on setting up the dance hall (seats 1,000 people) with big screens showing a few matches at a time “live”. I don’t want to get ahead of myself, but if the techie Gods are with us, these will be watched from the dance hall and live on the internet. This tournament will truly be one for the history books at it will be forever memorialized.

I can’t wait. 🙂